Wednesday, January 28, 2009
SWA #4
The article "Isnt That Special", by Jonah Goldberg discusses the generation of kids. He uses examples from other professors that agreed with him on the subject matter that kids from this generations are the most self absorbed. The main point that Goldberg is trying to get across in the reading is that kids are so used to hearing that they are in turn "special" they are starting to believe it. A finance professor from Louisian State University named Don Chance, even states that asian kids, dont get mad about making bad grades they work harder to improve them. Goldberg also discusses that during his youth there were many announcements informing kids that they are the mosy important person in the whole wide world. He also talks about how he is still caught up in the things that kids enjoy today like, watching the Simpsons or Grey's Anatomy which conveys with his point that some adults want to stay kids forever.
When reading this article i found myself, definatly relating to the topic that is discussed because i found it reltable to my life. The article kept my attention the entire time because he provided examples that were not only interesting, but they were also reltable, like when he talked about Grey's anatomy and the simpsons. I felt very connected to this article, and really enjoyed the work of Goldberg.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you that Goldberg's article was very interesting and made some points I had never considered before. It makese sense that when kids are constantly reminded that they are "the most important person in the world" that they will eventually being to believe it. I thought it was interesting that Goldberg talked about how society is trying to treat children more like adults, which in turn, when those children do grow up to be adults, makes them still want to act like children and get away with child-like things. Like you, I also felt like I could relate to this article because Goldberg used examples that I was familiar with and overall enjoyed this article.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Goldberg's article. We really are always being told we are "special" and it's just filling up our heads. And I know from experience that people are constantly trying to treat us more and more like adults, even if we are not fully ready for it. Good article you chose to evaulate too, it was very relatable and those are always the best.
ReplyDelete